Happy Halloween from Maynard O’Connor!
Halloween is a lot of fun. But, it also presents a greater risk for injury to our children. Here are some helpful safety tips if you and your children are going out trick or treating this year.
- Make sure your child can walk easily in his or her costume and that no parts obstruct his or her vision – use face paint instead of cumbersome masks;
- Make sure props like toy swords or knives are soft, short and flexible;
- Never let your child trick or treat alone, and accompany your child up to the doors of homes;
- Use sidewalks and walkways, do not cut across people’s yards where there might be unknown hazards hidden in the dark;
- Attach lights or reflective material to your child’s costume;
- Make sure your child’s costume is flame resistant or flame retardant;
- Examine all candy for choking hazards. Throw away homemade or unwrapped candy;
- Never enter a person’s home or vehicle unless with a trusted adult; and,
- If you’re driving, be on the careful lookout for pedestrians dressed in dark costumes.
We hope everyone has a fun and safe time trick or treating! If your child or you are injured while trick or treating, please call the accident attorneys at Maynard O’Connor.